Notes and Lessons from the Book “LEGACY” By James Kerr and others
The following is a list of sayings and points of view. The objective is to provoke your critical thinking and not to give you the reader, a defined answer.
Performance equals capabilities plus behaviours. Behaviours are aligned internally and externally with your public and private behaviour lining up with each other.
‘leader design and create an environment which drives the high performance behavior needed for success’
The Vision into Action Paradox
- Vision without action is a dream
- Action without vision is a nightmare
Pick character, sacrificial mindset and unselfish behavior.
“our values decide our character; our character decides our values”
- Humility isn’t weakness, it is its opposite, great leaders understand the strength of humility, it allows you to connect with your deepest values
- Guide not instruct
- Never be too big to do the small things that need to be done
4 Stages of Organizational Change
- A case for change
- A compelling picture of the future
- A sustained capability to change
- A credible plan to execute
A WINNING ORGANISATION IS AN ENVIRONMENT OF PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT, IN WHICH EACH INDIVIDUAL TAKES RESPONSIBILITY AND SHARES OWNERSHIP
IT IS NOT THE STRONGEST SPECIES THAT SURVIVE, NOR THE MOST INTELLIGENT, BUT THE ONES MOST RESPONSIVE TO CHANGE
- For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
- Identity and Purpose
- Leaders connect personal meaning to a higher purpose to create belief and a sense of direction
- What you do today?
- Organisational identity
- Purpose maximization
- He who has a why to live for, can bear most anything
Leaders as a Resource
- Leaders set objectives and parameters
- Team implements and looks at details
- Shared responsibility means shared ownership
- Do we have the correct capabilities?
- Capabilities clarity and motivation?
- Sense of inclusion to a common cause
INSTILL IN YOUR TEAM MEMBERS A SENSE OF GREAT SELF WORTH – THAT EACH AT ANY GIVEN TIME, CAN BE THE MOST IMPORTANT ON THE BATTLEFIELD